Healthier Chocolate Cake with Pumpkin
What kid doesn’t like chocolate cake? Ok, there are a few exceptions. This is a cake you can make them and not feel as guilty. It is so easy, just two ingredients. Yes! You heard right just two ingredients and here is the recipe.
- 1 box any flavor chocolate cake mix
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin – I actually use two cans and a 2-cup liquid measuring cup and scoop out 16 oz.
All you do is mix the cake mix and the pumpkin together, spread mix into a greased and floured cake pan, follow the directions on the cake mix for oven temperature and bake time. I like to use Pam for baking, much easier and I don’t have to get my hands all greasy.
This cake is very moist, it doesn’t raise as high as a regular cake but my kids love it. It is also low fat and has all the added benefits of pure pumpkin. 1 can Libby’s Pumpkin is as follows.
- Calories: 40
- Calories from fat: 5
- Total fat: 0.5
- Saturated fat: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
- Sodium: 5 mg.
- Carbohydrates: 9 g.
- Dietary Fiber: 5 g.
- Sugars: 4 g.
- Protein: 2 g.
- Vitamin A: 300%
- Vitamin C: 2%
- Calcium: 2%
- Iron 4%
I followed this last time with cream cheese frosting, but you don’t even really need frosting. My kids will eat it either way. The best part is it doesn’t taste like it is low-fat!
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Squares (thehealthyflavor.com)
- fudge brownie cupcakes with pumpkin cream cheese frosting. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- Pumpkin Oreo Truffles (andtheycookedhappilyeverafter.wordpress.com)
- Antioxidant-Rich Desserts for Thanksgiving (berries.com)